Tuesday, January 06, 2009

First Post in the New Year

Gosh, how can it be the sixth day of January already?

We had such a wonderful, relaxing weekend. We don't entertain on New Year's Day, we just relax. I made a pan of lasagna and we enjoyed some of the leftover snacks from the previous evening - we watched football and hockey on TV, and I stitched to my heart's content!

On Friday I had lunch with a friend followed by a road trip with Joan, Jill, and Jackie to Stitchville, our "not so" local needlework store (it's about a 40 minute trip in each direction.) Friday night was spent stitching at Joan's. On Saturday all the holiday decorations came down and returned to storage for another year. It was nice to get the house back in order. Sunday came and went far too quickly. Before I knew it, it was time for another work week to begin!

During the holiday weekend I did get some stitching in. Two dear friends celebrated birthdays recently and I wanted to send them something special. Both are fans of Mary Garry designs, so it was easy to decide what to stitch for them - the Mary Garry pinkeep from the 2000 JCS Christmas Ornament magazine. I replaced the word "Christmas" with their names. I used miscellaneous linen from my stash and ST Holly Berry and Pine.

Marie's birthday is on December 29 - unfortunately I didn't get this finished and mailed until the new year, but it is the thought that counts, right? I have so enjoyed getting to know Marie better through blogging and exchanging the past few years.
Lelia's birthday is on January 2. Lelia's blog was one of the first that I visited when I started getting into this blogging thing. Lelia is such a creative person - I enjoy reading her posts.
Here's another little project that I started on January 3rd -- I'm about halfway finished with the center design and then need to stitch the border. Perhaps you recognize Three Crows from Goode Huswife? (Thanks to Barbara for her enabling on this one; she stitched it recently and I fell in love with the picture on her blog.) I'm using sandstone linen and DMC threads. Also pictured is a recent eBay purchase; the price was too good to pass up. This is the Gingher Penelope embroidery scissors. I think it was available in 2002.
I also completed my HoE Lizzie Kate exchange last weekend; will post photos of this as soon as it is received. Tonight I'm working on the finishing for my Tiny Treasures scissor fob exchange. I know, I know, I was going on an exchange diet in 2009. I've never been very good at sticking with diets, but I'm still hoping to succeed at this one - I'm just putting off starting it until February!

That's all I have for tonight - until next time, Happy Stitching!

18 comments:

Sharon said...

My goodness - what beautiful pieces!! You have such a sweet heart for sharing with others. I really enjoy your blog!

Von said...

Love the pinkeeps you made for Lelia and Marie!

My decorations are coming down - most are in their boxes waiting for dh to get them back into the garage. I'm going to have to start grouching soon as they haven't moved an inch for two days. :D

Unknown said...

The pinkeeps are adorable! You do impressive work.

CindyMae said...

Those are just beautiful and great progress on the new start as well!

Sonda said...

Lovely gifts for those ladies to receive!! Happy New Year!

Brigitte said...

Two great birthday gifts for Marie and Lelia. I love this design.

Your new start looks great. I have this chart in my stash, too, and pulled it out on New Year's Day . It's now in the floder of charts that I want to stitch this year. It's such a nice design.

Connie B said...

Nice finishes!!!

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Love your blog :o)
AND Love your pieces that you have stitched and sent to everyone :) How lovely they are! AND I love the three crows! Go Girl!

Kathy A. said...

Lovely pinkeeps there girl. Lucky Marie and Lelia! Sounds like you had a lovely winter holiday!

staci said...

Really sweet pinkeeps Cathy :) And love your new Goode Huswife start!

Marie said...

Thank you again my friend for the beautiful birthday gift. You are a treasure!
I love the three crows design.

mainely stitching said...

SQUEAL!! Oh, you've begun it! Hooray! I love it right to bits already! I love mine, too, just as much as I did the moment I started it. Or finished it. Or finish-finished it. LOL!

And your gifts are incredibly beautiful - not to mention thoughtful!! :D

Cindy F. said...

Love the pinkeeps you made! Beautifully finished and love how you put their names in place of Christmas.
Great new start too!!

Sharon said...

Happy New Year Cathy! Beautiful pinkeeps and lucky you with those Gingher scissors!

Wendy said...

Great presents! You have made a great start on Three Crows - great design!

Carolyn said...

What gorgeous pinkeeps!!! I know Lelia and Marie were over the moon receiving them. :)

I'm also loving your blackbird stitching. I think you've just enabled me. :)

Love the look of your blog!

Hugs,
Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Just discovered your blog through Karol's rosebud stitching. Your work is lovely and Prolific!!! You do beautiful work.

Pauline said...

This is coming along great! Makes me want to find my chart and do this one now! Thanks!!