Last weekend and this weekend I attended Spring luncheons for our two local needlework guilds. Last Saturday was the Needlework Guild of Minnesota's Annual Meeting. We had a nice brunch at a local hotel and then listened to a talk about Ethnic Drawn Thread by Pat Donaldson. She compared and contrasted beautiful embroidered pieces from over 14 different countries.Of course, this was of particular interest to me given my desire to learn more about Hungarian embroidery. One new type of embroidery that I learned about is the Lefkara Lace that is made in Cyprus. Google it - it is beautiful!
Yesterday, I attended the Spring Luncheon for our local EGA chapter - St. Paul Needleworkers. A delicious lunch and an interesting lecture by a local designer/teacher/stitcher. Carol Pedersen's topic was "Ancestral Angst" and she talked about the importance of labeling our stitched pieces with as much information as possible to ensure that generations to come won't be asking "I wonder who stitched this?" Carol also talked about caring for our needlework pieces. It was very interesting!
Enough chatter - you want some pictures to look at, right? I had some "finishing mojo" last evening and so while the rest of the family was either at work or at my daughter's lacrosse game (she's the coach), I set out to finish the remaining pieces for Rhapsody in Blue. Back on March 24, I shared the finished bag with you. Since that time, we received the finishing instructions for the smalls. I just haven't had time to finish them!
This was an online class with the Shining Needle Society. The project was designed by Jackie du Plessis. Having taken a class with Jackie last summer, I was excited to work on another one of her projects. Here are the accompanying smalls which I finished last night:
The round disc on the left is a pinkeep. The rectangular box is a pincushion; look at those tiny pinheads that I stitched! and then the strawberry serves as a scissor fob. These pieces are really tiny. I had to use magnification to put them together!
Here's the whole kit and caboodle:
I also attached my lid to the bag last night (hadn't done it the first time around). Jackie had us make a hedebo ring to cover the stitching where the lid was attached. Perhaps you can see it in this picture:
And one more photo of the entire piece...
I won't lie - the finishing was a bit challenging. But it really turned out beautiful and was worth the time and effort!
Now on to my next project -- I'm nearly finished with my stitching for Ellen Chester's My Lady's Worke Box. If I could get the stitching done this week, I could try to get it finished next weekend. We'll see!
Enjoy your day and thanks for stopping by.