Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Let the Stitching Begin....

I took two days off of work to spend the time stitching with friends. We are all gathered at Mama Joan's house and our theme this year is "Under the Sea." Our stitching extravaganza started yesterday and will continue through Saturday. While I was off of work yesterday and today, tomorrow, I have to go back to work. :(

Each year we assemble gift bags for each other; we try to locate things that fit with the theme. Here is what I collected for the girls:



The bottom tray is like a three-part snack dish - it has "sea characters" on it (octopus, turtle, fish, etc.) Has anyone tried these smore flavored goldfish? In the middle section, a quilted pincushion that I made using fishy fabric, a mermaid scissor fob, and some threads (CC Shrimp Cocktail and CC Deep Blue Sea). On the right, some fish shaped soaps (need to keep my stitching buds smelling good, right?)



Here's a closer look at the fobs that I made - everyone has their special color! The "mermaid" is taken from a Country Cottage Needleworks pattern.



And here's a closer look at the quilted pincushions using fishy fabric:



I will post pictures of the gifts that the other girls brought after retreat.

Our task yesterday was to complete the "A Token of Friendship" booklets that we had been stitching for each other all year. We really underestimated the time that it would take to finish these books. Here's the group hard at work:



As of this morning, I have all of my blocks basted to the skirtex and all but two blocks have the lining fabric basted on the back. Today, I will continue with the assembly!



More updates on our retreat to follow in the next few days.

Before I go...check out the cute LHN ornament that I received from Joan from the LHN exchange a small group of us did. Isn't it sweet? The beaded edging is really cool! Thanks Joan!



Gotta run -- the girls are waiting for me!

14 comments:

Karen said...

how fun! what fun goodies you made for the girls! have a blast and tell them hi!

Marsha said...

Wow, what an awesome retreat. The goodies you made are beautiful - so creative, bright and cheery.

Bekca said...

You look like you're having a wonderful time and the gifts you have made are all gorgeous. Happy stitching to everyone at the retreat!

DonnaTN said...

Your goodies for the group are great! I love the scissor fobs and the pincushions. I love the gingerbread man ornament too.

BrendaS said...

What fun! The gifties you gave the girls are wonderful. The fobs are just perfect!

Have a wonderful time even if you have to work tomorrow:(

Margaret said...

I love the goodies you made for your friends! Have a great time with your friends. It's so much fun that you do this!

Arthemise said...

Oh my, so cute!!!

Hazel said...

Gorgeous! I saw some pics on Joans blog and it really does look like a fab time you all had. x

Little Penpen said...

fun, fun, fun... I'm jealous! I hope you girls have a great time!

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

Your gift for the girls is DARLING, Cathy! I LOVE the fobs!

Great LHN finish, too!

Can't wait to see the big completion!

Lois said...

What great goodies for everyone! The fobs are so cute! Love the LHN ornament.

Lynn said...

Having a theme is a great idea for a retreat! I love the gifts you assembled for your stitching friends. Those fobs are really cute!

Marianne said...

The mermaid fobs are just beautiful! Love all the projects! Looks like a great time stitching!

Anonymous said...

Those mermaid fobs are wonderful! Love all the stitching photos and goodies. Looks like everyone had a blast at the retreat. Wonderful ornie and needle book photos>