Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Off to College

Happy Hump Day! I continue to enjoy my week off of work. Today I am busy washing linens and doing some general clean up. It seems like there's never an end to projects around the house!

Yesterday was somewhat bittersweet - we moved our daughter into her dorm room at college. She is attending a school that is about two hours south of where we live. It's really going to be different not having her home all the time.

Here she is getting ready to head out...



Oops, wrong photo -- the photo above is from when she was about 4 or 5 years old. She had her teddy bear all packed up in her backpack and was ready to head down the driveway on her tricycle.

Here's the right photo. All grown up now and somewhat moved into her tiny dorm room. They all loft the beds these days (I don't remember anyone doing that when I was in school! All I kept thinking was "what if you had to go to the bathroom real bad?")



Will miss having her at home but at the same time I know that she is embarking on a new adventure and some of the best days of her life!

On the stitching front - I have a finish to share with you. Earlier this year, the Elegant Stitch offered this kit as a fundraiser for breast cancer awareness and research. The design is from LHN and it is called Remember Me. It's stitched on 30ct Mocha Linen from Weeks Dye Works with Crescent Colors Bella Rosa. Unfortunately, this was a limited edition item and the kits are now sold out!



Finally, I just got my BBD finish from a few weeks ago back from the framer. This is Evening Shades the Garden, Loose Feathers #3. I love it!



That's all for today. Hope to get some more finishing done in-between the laundry loads and other cleaning projects!

21 comments:

Lelia said...

"off to college" was a tough time for me when our oldest daughter moved into the dorm. Beautiful stitching!!!

Locker hooking has a few quirks, but is really fun to do!

Always, L.

valerie said...

Good luck to your daughter as she starts college!

Lovely finishes and framing! The colors in Evenings in the Shade are just so pretty!

Lynn said...

Things sure are more quiet when they're not around. I don't think my phone rang once that first week!
I love both of your finishes. Too bad that kit is sold out. It's adorable!

Margaret said...

Isn't it weird not to have your daughter around? I know I'm going to miss my daughter when it's time for her to go back to college. It's her junior year, but it doesn't get any easier. In fact, I feel like I'll miss her even more this time around. :(

Love your finishes! The frame for your BBD piece is so pretty!

Theresa said...

I love the photo you took when your daughter was still a little girl~~ So cute!!! And now she is all grown up!!!!

Love your LHN finish!!! It is so adorable!!! And your framed BBD piece looks so pretty!!! Those colors are amazing~~~

Unknown said...

Congrats to your daughter! A big step for mom too. Does she play lax? I noticed the lacrosse t-shirt. We are big lacrosse fans here, 4 of my nieces and one nephew play rep and provincial lacrosse.

Yvonne..... said...

WOW! Congrats to your daughter on the next step of her life. I;ll be going through this in just a couple of years and I'm not looking forward to it at all!

Love the stitching too, especially the newly framed BBD piece. It looks great!

Karen said...

Good luck to your daughter and to you. :) Caitie only went to ASU an hour away from us, so it wasn't too bad. This is her 2nd year. Your daughter will do great! and yes, they love to loft the beds to make more room in there, desks underneath, etc. LOL

great finishes!!

Sandra said...

Your Evenings Shades is gorgeous, I'm going to have to pull that chart out - I seem to remember I might have said that when you were stitching it too.

Lois said...

I hope your daughter enjoys her new adventure. You're right, it is bittersweet, it's always hard to believe all those years have passed. What a cute picture of her when she was young and she's turned into a lovely young lady.

Great stitching finishes, the LHN pillow is wonderful and I love your framed BBD.

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

Good luck to you DD! She'll have a blast and grow up so much in the next year!

Your finishes are wonderful! I love getting framing home!

Brigitte said...

I only see my daughter once a year so I know how you must be feeling. Good luck to her.
You have some wonderful finishes here.

Moreen said...

Good luck to your daughter at college.
Both your finishes are great.

Kathy A. said...

That is quite the change for you Cathy. I hope you and your DH adjust well to your new circumstances. The house sure was quite as the boys left. And food stayed in the fridge for more than 30 seconds LOL
Love your two finishes.

marylin & poussy said...

Hi your embroidery are magnificent! I like very much the pillow
Indeed to you marylin

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Oh Cathy....I don't even want to think, contemplate or imagine my daughter leaving me for college! I know I did it and people do it all the time, but it about killed me watching her go on a bus middle school yesterday!
It was move in day for the newly entering Freshman here at IU yesterday....Bloomington has gone mad once again :)

your finishes *AS ALWAYS* are spectacular, wonderful and have me slobbering all over the place :)

Katrina said...

Big hugs!!!! Hope your daughter has a great time at college :-).

Love all the stitchy finishes too.

Linen Stitcher said...

Cathy, I'm just a few steps behind you. We move my son to college in the next few days. Love the two pictures of your daughter. Hope she has a wonderful year ahead. I love your attitude!!

Oh, and I also love "Evening Shades in the Garden." I don't know that I've paid enough attention to that one before, but now that I've seen your finish, I really love it!!

Anonymous said...

Love your finishes! And so fun to see your daughter going off to a new adventure. I'm helping to take my niece to begin her sophomore year this weekend. And, we're expecting about 30,000 students this Fall at UVU, where I work. Yikes! It's that time of year... I love the Fall... and school supplies. Hee, hee.

Laura in Orem

Sonda said...

Good luck to you both on the new life...I bet the first pic is how you still see her sometimes...

Love that BBD! I haven't seen it before.

Anonymous said...

good luck to your daughter, my son went away to university last month, it's a scary time for the parents but a real adventure for the kids
I love, love , love your BBD finish, I would love to stitch this one, as i love the colours