Tuesday, January 05, 2016

Visiting My Roots

No stitching tonight; therefore no new project starts. I'm out of town for work and probably won't revisit my needle until Thursday night.

In the meantime, if you've visited my blog for any length of time you know that I have a certain fondness for anything Austrian-Hungarian. On Sunday, I decided to try a recipe that I came across on Facebook for One-Pot Unstuffed Cabbage. If I may say so myself, it was quite delicious!

Recipe can be found here: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/one-pot-unstuffed-cabbage

In keeping with the Hungarian theme, I want to share with you a gift I received recently. It's a doily and the embroidery style is Hungarian Kalocsa. This style of embroidery is done in the town of Kalocsa located near the Danube, south of Budapest.

This particular doliy was embroidered by an older woman from Hungary now living in Florida. I'm thrilled to add this piece to my collection of Hungarian embroidery!

 

6 comments:

Barb said...

That is a beautiful piece! Thanks for the recipe suggestion!

Smily-Света said...

I like Kalocsai embroidery, it looks so bright and vivid!

Marilyn said...

The cabbage dish looks delicious.
What a beautiful doily!
Marilyn

Unknown said...

The doily is beautiful. I can only imagine the amount of hard work it took to create something so beautiful. I will also have to check out the recipe. My husband and I were just talking about doing something like this. Thank you for sharing.

Khristine Doiron said...

The doily is beautiful! And I have eaten that before dish before, it is very yummy!

Marie in Minnesota said...

I have made a similar dish from the Byerly's cookbook. It doesn't have the raisins or lemon juice. Did you add those?