Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Fabric of Community

One of the themes of the retreat was community and what better way to celebrate community than with a friendship sampler!

My group of friends decided to do a round robin friendship sampler starting last fall. We passed our samplers every month. Each stitcher was responsible for stitching a band that was approximately 80 stitches wide and 20 stitches high. Our samplers made their way back to their original owners in June giving us each enough time to finish any additional stitching we needed to do and to get the piece framed.

It was great fun seeing all eight samplers at the retreat.

My friend Chris wanted a needlework themed sampler. She made suggestions as to what she wanted us each to stitch.

Cheryl wanted bands of flowers - we stitched her a garden!

Colleen's included a verse at the top. We stitched the bands underneath.

Love Mary Kay's. She started us off with a beautiful design from Ewe and Eye at the top.

Judy's reminds me of some of the historic samplers you see...Love the Whitework band in the middle.

Nancy's was one of my favorites. I really liked the color palette she selected.

Jane loves strawberries!

I can hardly believe this, but I forgot to take a photo of my sampler at retreat! While the lighting isn't that great in this photo....here it is. I love it. What a treasure this sampler is.

 

Needlework friends are truly the best!

 

14 comments:

Brigitte said...

These band samplers are such a delight to look at. It must have been great for you all to see them all together.

Ali said...

What a lovely idea and each one special and unique I think they are all lovely.

Marilyn said...

What a great idea.
These are all so beautiful.
Marilyn

Vickie said...

Wow. wOw! Amazing work for each other. THAT is friendship.

Stasi said...

All are fabulous..a very lucky group of ladies!!!

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Oh my gosh....I am totally, completely, overwhelming in love with your treasures here...I've gone back and back and back again from your post yesterday and now I know I'm going to be here 100 more times to look at these band samplers. I so wished I had a group of really great stitching friends like you have. What a fabulous, most wonderful thing you share with these ladies. Each sampler is gorgeous and unique and utterly stunning! I'm so jealous! But in a really good way :)

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

Very fun, Cathy! You did them the same size we did in our guild but what I like that you did, that we didn't do, was to stitch a different band, depending on the stitchers preferences, on every sampler. We all stitched the same band on all samplers but used the colors the owner provided. It was intersting to see how different they all looked when the order and colors were different, for each but I love how personal each of yours turned out. Great job!!!

Khristine Doiron said...

They are gorgeous!! And I agree that needlework friends are the best!!

Gabriella said...

Lovely samplers. Ciao.

Patti-Rocky Mtn Stitcher said...

How fantastic! Such wonderful pieces.

samplrgal said...

I love seeing your round robin samplers. Each one is so pretty. You are all such a talented group of ladies! All my best, Sue from IN

Lelia said...

Beautiful samplers!!!!! Thx for sharing ; )

Karoline said...

Stunning samplers, congratulations to everyone involved

llknbillburg said...

Each and every one of them a true beauty!! Amazing!! Laura