Thursday, November 25, 2010

It's a Green Jello Day!

Happy Thanksgiving dear friends in the U.S. My family will be gathering later today to share in a feast of turkey, dressing, wild rice, sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, broccoli, pumpkin pie.... and green jello!

When I was in high school, I worked part time at a local butcher shop/grocery store. It was only 8 blocks from my house so I could easily walk to and from work. Technically, I was the cashier, but it was such a small business that everyone pretty much did everything. I stocked shelves and learned how to package produce in addition to my cashiering duties.

The customers were all "neighborhood" people; people who had shopped at this butcher shop their entire lives. Since I worked there all through high school and on weekends and summers during college, I got to know the customers pretty well.

There was one little old lady who frequently shopped there for her groceries and her meat. Her name was Lauretta Reilly. Now, I have no idea how we got on the topic of jello, but one day Lauretta walked in with a yellow index card and written on it was her "Lime Jell-o Salad" recipe. She wanted to make sure that I had a copy of it I guess.

Those who have known me for quite some time know that I am not much of a cook - oh, I can cook when I want to, but I'd much rather be stitching than cooking, so I don't cook any more than I have to. My family knows this and so over the years, when we've had family gatherings, they don't trust me with the important things, they only trust me with the jello. Of course the jello that I make each and every time --- Lauretta Reilly's Lime Jell-o Salad! (It's kind of become a joke in our family; believe me though, when there's no green jello they are disappointed!) So, today, being one of those important days when our family gathers, it's important that we have green jello.




Lauretta Reilly's Lime Jell-o Salad

1 large or 2 small packages of lime Jell-o
1 cup boiling water
1 pint cottage cheese
1 small can crushed pineapple
1/2 pint whipping cream (I use 8oz Cool Whip)
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup diced maraschino cherries (I use more!)

Dissolve Jell-o in boling water. Chill until it begins to thicken. Then whip until light and frothy. Add cottage cheese, pineapple, nuts and cherries. Mix well. Fold in whipped cream. Pour into bowl or mold and chill until set.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

7 comments:

Laura said...

What a wonderful story!!!

I do not like to cook (or clean) and would rather be stitching too!

In fact, I think a good idea would be to go out to dinner. Luckily, my husband likes to cook and is doing so at this very moment!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Julianne said...

Cathy,

Happy Thanksgiving!

We have a green jello salad at our celebration too. It has cream cheese, pears and whipped topping mixed in. It is a must have for my oldest DD.

Enjoy your family time.

Hazel said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. That sounds like quite a feast! x

Melissa said...

Happy Green Jello Day! And a Happy Thanksgiving too, Cathy! The story is a great one.

Margaret said...

You sound like me. I have to cook, no choice, but I have no confidence in my cooking abilities. Lucky for me, DH does the holiday cooking. Yay! The jello looks yummy! Hope you're having a good Thanksgiving!

Lynn said...

I got a kick out of your story! I don't much like cooking although baking does relax me at times. Since I remarried, my hubby does most of the cooking which is great and leaves more time for stitching!
Thanks for the recipe.

Deb said...

My husband's family has something similar to this but I think that it's made with pistashio pudding and it's pretty good!