Saturday, August 22, 2009

Snowmen in Summer

Week before last was the annual stitching retreat with the Friday night stitching group. We haven't been stitching on Friday nights since Joan moved to Aberdeen, but the retreat went on as planned! Joan was home for the week and joining her were Jill, Lori, Jackie, and me! While I wasn't able to take time off from work to be there during the day, I joined them on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings.

These ladies have been doing this every year for the past four or five years. Each year they pick a theme and then they put together little gift bags for each other. Last year was the first year I attended and at the time I didn't even realize they did the gift bags. This year, I had my gift bag ready but man, oh man - these ladies took this year's theme very seriously! Here's a snap of just some of the goodies I came home with!

The pillow case for the pillow in the back was made by Joan (pillow was provided by Jackie last year) - moving clockwise - the slippers were made by Jill's mom, snowman pinkeep from Joan, project bags from Joan and Lori, felt snowman ornament from Jill, at the very bottom of picture is also a snowman stitch marker from Jill, in the tin cover is a tiny little scissors with a snowman beaded fob made by Lori, the snowman project in the baggie is from Jackie, the Frosty Friends scissors fob was from Joan and the pincushion on top of the small canning jar was made by Joan. There are a few other ornies from the girls in the picture too (click on the picture to enlarge so that you can see everything.) These ladies took their theme seriously this year!

I made each of us a snowman ornie for our Christmas trees. The design is from Plum Pudding Needlearts. Along with their ornie I provided a collection of beverages for them to enjoy - assorted hot chocolates, cappucinos, and teas. Just the thing I enjoy sitting down with when I'm ready to stitch in the wintertime!


Next year's theme is "Under the Sea" - I better start thinking about it now so that I can keep up with these creative ladies!

16 comments:

JillMN said...

Oh how I wish we were still on retreat. It was great fun. I like your new blog masthead. See you on Tuesday.

Margaret said...

What fun! I love all the goodies! And your pieces for everyone are great too!

Faye said...

I would SO love to be in a stitch group locally!!! It is so good to see that you guys get together to stitch, exchange and just have fun!! Love all the goodies..you did real good on the ornies..Especially with coffees/hot chocolates to go with them!! Nice~~~

Stitching instead of cleaning said...

Love the ornaments you made. I have seen this and always thought it was so cute. I am like others who wish there was a stitch group in my area just to hang out and share.

Mama Joan said...

It was a great retreat. I can't wait until next year. I had a great time back home. I also will see you on Tuesday. I can't wait to come home again.

Linda said...

Your retreat sounds like such fun and what neat goodies.

I see The Persian Pickle Club is a favorite read....mine too. I think Sandra Dallas is a wonderful writer...have you read any of her other books? hugs, Linda

Little Penpen said...

Oh... I love your snowman ornaments. Don't they look cute all piled in the bowl?

CindyMae said...

Wow, what awesome goodies there!!! Love the little snowmen ornies that you made and I am sure that they all loved them!!

Nita said...

Your retreat sounds like so much fun! Love all the gifts and the snowman ornies are awesome.
Would you share how y'all got started - how you first organized your retreats?

mainely stitching said...

Wow, Cathy, you're just such a generous friend! Everyone will treasure their Cathy-made ornament forever! :D Can't wait to see what you come up with for next year's theme!

Siobhán said...

What fun! It sounds like you had a wonderful time. Love the goodies and the ornaments are just adorable. I love the idea of the theme... can't wait to see what you come up with for next year!

Kathy A. said...

That is just amazing. What a wonderful idea and how imaginative everyone is. Joan seems to be quite the stitching and finishing girl. What lovely things she made.

Kathy said...

Wow, you really did receive some lovely goodies. And the ones you stitched are just adorable. A retreat like this sounds like so much fun. Maybe one of these days............. :)

Marie said...

What a great idea and so much fun. Love those snowman slippers. :) Your ornament is very cute.

Sonda said...

That is such a wonderful haul. Your ornies look cute. I'm sure they were loved.

BeckySC said...

What fun!! I know you must have been happy to see Joan :)
LOVELY ornmanets you stitched for them :)