Saturday, May 20, 2023

A Lucky Find

I was reminded today that there are several people out there who still follow this blog. I need to do a better job of updating more regularly. It definitely would keep the Mad Tatter happy!

One of the fun things about visiting Amana is the variety of antique shops that can be explored. There are several shops within walking distance of the event center where the retreat is held. One of my favorites is called Grapevine Antiques. They have lots of variety - I found some vintage tatting shuttles, some old cookie cutters, and a few other things. The best find though was a vintage quilt! It was down in the basement, tucked away in a basket. 

I wasn’t really looking for a quilt, but this one grabbed my heart. There were 48 blocks and the flower designs had been hand embroidered. The fabric colors appealed to me too - bubblegum pink and green. I also could tell that the entire quilt was hand quilted.

Looking closer at the quilt, I could not find a single tear, there were no holes and no stains. Then I looked at the price tag - it was $46! What??? Decision made, this quilt was coming home with me. Here she is:



It fits the top of our queen size bed. I didn’t realize the significance of the blocks until I got back to the retreat. These are the 48 state flowers! Yes, you read that correctly, 48 states. That means this quilt was likely made before 1959. Based on the fabrics used, it might even have been made as far back as the 30’s.




It was such a lucky find. Someone put a lot of work in it. I feel fortunate to have it and will treasure it!

I forgot to post a dog photo last time and the Mad Tatter asked about it. We were dog sitting this weekend for our son so here’s Lizzie and Finn relaxing on the loveseat.


Thanks for stopping by. I will try to be better!

8 comments:

Linda said...

The quilt is lovely! Lucky you to find it!

Gabi said...

Wow, what a find! Congratulation.
Greetings from over the ocean,
Gabi

Sandra said...

What an amazing find the quilt was, I'm so pleased you are using it.

Marilyn said...

What a score with the quilt!
It's fabulous.
Cute pic of the Pups.
Marilyn

Stasi said...

What a fabulous find Cathy...so glad you rescued it!!!

Robin in Virginia said...

Love the picture of Lizzie and Finn! What a beautiful quilt you found in Amana, Cathy! Thank you for rescuing it.

Ada said...

You have newer readers too, like me!! Please keep blogging, I love following your stitching adventures!!

Annelein said...

What a very sweet find...