Tuesday, July 06, 2021

In Memory of Barb Adams

The needlework world lost a legend today. Was shocked to learn of the passing of Barb Adams, one half of the Blackbird Designs team. So very sad for her family and for her business partner and best friend, Alma Allen.

I first met Barb and Alma in 2007 is Strasburg, Virginia at a Hands to Work retreat. That weekend began my infatuation of all things Blackbird Designs. I remember being mortified when they took used coffee grounds and rubbed them into the stitched project to “grunge it up” and give it an “aged look.” You couldn’t help but love them. The stories they shared - they were just so entertaining! I am so glad to have had this opportunity! (Pictured below Alma, Cathy, and Barb.)

The project that weekend was called Flowers for Sarah Needleroll. I did not finish the project until 2011, but I did finish it! It was the longest piece of linen I have ever stitched on! The linen is folded in three places to make the pockets. The bright colors of the fabric on the backside were toned down by dipping it in some Rit Dye (another Blackbird trick).


In memory of Barb, I had to work on a Blackbird project tonight. All Joys For Thine was in my stash and kitted up and ready to go. This piece was designed and stitched by Barb. I got a good start on the border.


I will continue to honor Barb’s memory over my next few posts. Rest in peace, Barb, and thank you for bringing so much joy to the needlework community.

4 comments:

Sandra said...

I didn't know about Barb until I read your post, so I am just as shocked as you, what an awful tragedy. I shall look out a BBD project to start tomorrow, just as soon as I get my July ornament finished.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Thank you for sharing your memories. I'm glad you were able to meet one of your favorite designers.

Lelia said...

thx for sharing. It is really sad to read your post. BBD are so wonderful

Khristine Doiron said...

What a memory you get to hold of your time with her. My thoughts are with her family and friends.